Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

Let me be clear ... I DO NOT want to see the victims of this crime sent to jail -- they need help, and society needs to ensure it is available



While I will freely admit that my blog is 'generally' read by people who are centre-right, I actually do have friends right smack dab in the center of things ... and others who I would consider to be center left.  Mondays blog post, "At least those deaths came with the possibility of providing continued life for someone else" was for the most part accepted by all sides of the political
spectrum as fairly reasonable, although one of my political friends indicated, "not sure I'd want an organ donation from someone who died of drugs.  Rest is right on." (this individual is NOT center right :)

 

One of my friends however, and this individual is in fact one of my many media acquaintances, did take me to task.  One for selectively quoting the article from Kamloops This Week (although I did provide a link to the entire story) ... second that because the pills were stamped Percocet it could be said that Hickson indeed may not have known they were Fentanyl ... and third, I do not believe they were impressed with me calling Hickson a "slimy dick-head of a puke"

 

Fair enough.  I am willing to hear and take the critique, however, I don't necessarily have to agree though.  Here is what they had to say to me:



Hi, Alan,

The same KTW story you selectively quote says the fentanyl pills found in Hickson's vehicle were stamped to look like Percocet and that B.C. Supreme Court Justice Hope Hyslop said there was no evidence that Hickson knew he was carrying fentanyl.

This contradicts your next several paragraphs. How is he a “slimy dick-head of a puke” who knowingly was selling something that could cause near instant death (presumably you’re talking about fentanyl) when there was no evidence he knew it was fentanyl?

Not an upstanding citizen, for sure, but c’mon. We’ve got to stick to evidence, don’t we?


I responded by stating ...

I hear you  ... however manufacturers, in these death labs, are all stamping their pills with different shapes, size, and names on them.  In this case (and maybe I should have made note of it), the circumstantial evidence was strong, when stacked with the rest of what was found in his vehicle. 


Regardless, aside from the Pot, what he had in he vehicle COULD cause a near instant death sentence ... and as DrugAbuse.com states regarding Percocet, "Unfortunately Percocet abuse can lead to the same dangerous problems of dependence and addiction as the illicit street drugs that share its origin"

Whether he (Hickson) thought they were Percocet, or instead was well aware they were indeed Fentanyl, he WAS dealing a possible death sentence.  In my mind that makes it no less than the potential for manslaughter, which according to LawyerShop.ca has these factors to consider:
"If somebody is committing an illegal act and causes the death of an individual then they are found guilty of manslaughter. Though the person died, there was no intention to cause death. Perhaps, there was only an intention to hurt someone but if a person dies because of that criminal act, the charge is manslaughter.

The sentencing options for manslaughter are very complicated because there is no minimum. You can get anything from probation (which is unlikely) to life in jail. Often individuals found guilty of manslaughter will serve medium range penitentiary terms, in the neighbourhood of 7 to 15 years"

That information, is clearly with regards to Manslaughter ... however as Saskatchewan Justice Richard Danyliuk stated, in a case he was presiding over, (as noted in my original story) ... this is not intended to be a minimum sentence (2 years) ... my analysis is akin to the well-established starting point ... ... harm caused by fentanyl is now widely know ... dealing in illicit fentanyl needs to be discouraged in the strongest fashion.

Luckily, Hickson was caught before he had a chance to deal out a possible death sentence to some poor addicts.  Regardless, that doesn't mean the punishment he was dealt out in the Kamloops Courthouse was enough.

WELL OVER 1,500 people (sons, daughters, husbands, wives, fathers, mothers, friends and co-workers) will die this year because YES, some slimy dick-head of a puke couldn't care less what they were dealing ... had no care or concern as to whether it was clean, mixed with fentanyl, or some other poison ... or what amounts of each ingredient were going into the recipe / formula.

Let me be clear ... I DO NOT want to see the victims of this crime sent to jail -- they need help, and society needs to ensure that help is available.  

The manufacturers of this poison however, don't give a shit about anyone other than themselves ... and how fast they can amass a large amounts of money to live a lifestyle they do not deserve.

Let the punishment fit the crime.

What thoughts do you have on the matter?  Do you agree or disagree?  The floors yours, and I'd love to hear from you!

In Kamloops, I'm Alan Forseth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PEATS: I am writing with a critical concern regarding the imminent closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic, a vital healthcare facility in our community

The following is a copy of a letter sent to me, which was sent to BC’s Minister of Health Adrian Dix. It is with regards to the impending closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic in Dawson Creek.   Dear Minister,   I am writing to you today with a critical concern regarding the imminent closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic, a vital healthcare facility in our community. The closure, scheduled for the summer of 2024, is a result of the utterly burdensome terms and conditions imposed by the bureaucratic Northern Health. As a result, Dawson Creek stands to lose four doctors who have made this city their home, and who wish to continue serving the people of our community.   The impending closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic is a significant blow to our city. Not only will it result in the loss of highly qualified and dedicated healthcare professionals, but it will also deprive thousands of Dawson Creek residents of access to their primary physicians. At a time when healthcare se

Selina Robinson: "You broke my heart . . ." (The Real Story)

The mildly Zionist, innocuously leftish and now ousted advanced education minister’s letter to her New Democratic Party caucus colleagues, explaining why she has resigned the caucus to sit as an independent. The letter is an historic document, an artifact of the disgraceful cultural moment we’re living through. It’s important. It’s also a scorcher. It’s gathering a heck of a lot of attention . I’m printing it in full here. I’ve been insisting that what happened to Robinson is a much bigger deal and a completely different story than the one we’d all been led to believe. The necessary background: My piece in the National Post: The despicable untruths behind Selina Robinson's political lynching . More importantly , a Real Story investigation: The Problem With The Selina Robinson Story. . . It wasn't true. What follows is the story of what really happened. Let’s just get into it. Apart from punctuation and spelling I replicate the letter faithfully, with some further comm

Long-time former BC Liberal supporter says, I am definitely not hanging in there with BC United

                              BC United leader Kevin Falcon I recently asked a political acquaintance of mine, about their current involvement with BC United.   I was much surprised with the response given the BC Liberals had been the recipient of a lot of their time and energy in the past. By request, their comments are posted anonymously : I am definitely not hanging in there with BC United. Kevin’s poor judgement in ousting John Rustad from Caucus, and then publicly humiliating him, might be the most inept thing I have seen in BC politics ... and I’ve been involved in BC politics for a number of years! I still think the impetus was John‘s involvement in the Ellis Ross leadership campaign for the BC Liberal Party, and how successful and respected (despite not winning) it was. I am uncertain about the tenor of the current Conservative movement in North America. The once proud Republican Party in the United States has allowed itself to be led by a person who is morally, intell

Labels

Show more